Mud Vegan Chocolate Cake
In The Outsiders there's a moment where Pony Boy eats chocolate cake and drinks a Coke for breakfast. As much as we all wish we could be as cool as Pony Boy we unfortunately have to have better eating habits than the fictional character. We don't recommend eating the same breakfast as him but the next time you are craving chocolate we think this will help. We give you Mud Vegan Chocolate Cake.
- 2 cups dairy-free milk
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup MUD\WTR
- ¼ cup cacao
- 1 cup potato starch
- ⅓ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 ½ cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp raw vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups 70% dark chocolate
- ¼ cup MUD\WTR
- 2 cups coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease three 6 inch round pans with coconut oil and dust with almond flour. Shake out excess and set apart.
- Pour the dairy-free milk and the vinegar in a container and let it rest for a few minutes. Then whisk in the applesauce and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and no large lumps remain. The batter should be thick but pourable.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans and bake on a center rack for 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool for 15 mins in the cake pans. To remove from pans, run a dull knife around the edge of the pans to loosen the cakes. Then place a plate or cooling rack on top and quickly invert. Set the cakes aside.
- To make the ganache, heat up the coconut milk in a saucepan until it’s about to boil. In a container, pour the milk on top of the chocolate chips and let it rest for 2 minutes. Then whisk well until fully incorporated. Lastly, add the mud slowly as you whisk to make sure no lumps are left.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake plate and pour ⅓ of the ganache on top. With a spatula even out the ganache to ensure the cake is fully covered. Repeat this process twice and finalize by decorating with cacao knibs on the outer edges of the cake.